Win funding to help advance your innovative business idea
The Concept $5K pitch competition offers the opportunity for University of Waterloo student led teams with innovative solutions and high potential business ideas to showcase their hard work and compete for grant funding. Participants receive valuable feedback, pitching experience, and idea validation from a network of experienced entrepreneurs and Concept Coaches.
New this semester: Concept $5K Health Grant
The Spring 2021 Concept $5K Pitch Competition will feature an additional $5K grant for student led teams with health focused business ideas. This new grant will allow eligible teams to win up to $10,000 to help turn their health related concept into a reality and take their idea to market. The application process for the additional Health specific $5K is the same, simply fill out an online application to show the viability and high potential of your business idea for your chance to advance to the Concept $5K Semi-Finals.
It’s only three steps to win a $5K Grant:
The top applicants will be invited to pitch at the Concept $5K Semi-Finals to a panel of experienced entrepreneurs. Each competitor will have just 3 minutes to present their idea and convince the judges it has the potential and viability to succeed.
This is where the magic happens. Only the best of the best from the Semi-Finals are invited to pitch at the Concept $5K Finals. Ten teams will take the stage, but only four will take home a cheque.
What does this look like? Check out our YouTube Channel to watch pitches from previous competitions and get inspired to pitch an innovation of your own!
The Concept $5K Finals are held three times a year. The dates to take note of for the Spring 2021 term are as follows:
• May 25: Applications open
• June 20: Applications close
• July 14 & 15: Concept $5K Semi-Finals
• July 29: Concept $5K Finals
- You’re currently a University of Waterloo undergraduate student, graduate student or postdoc
- You have an idea or concept that has the potential to be turned into a scalable startup (i.e. it has big market and high growth potential).
- You and your idea/team haven’t received $50K or more in funding (e.g. from grants, Velocity Fund Pitch Competition)
- You want to meet cool people and have lots of fun!
Curious how far along past winning ideas have been? Check out past finalist pitches. Still not sure? Book a 1:1 coaching session and ask one of our coaches!
Note: Student teams can only win a Concept $5K Grant once.